Our normal monthly meeting is on the third Sunday of each month except December in the Yarra Glen Memorial Hall, ANZAC Avenue and Bell Street (Melways Ref: p275 A1), starting at 10:00 AM.
The Annual General Meeting (AGM) is held on the 3rd Sunday in January.
Use your Smartphone to find our location
"To support the well being and betterment of our members, former and serving members of the ADF, and their dependants, with the provision of welfare and commemorative services and, where appropriate, contribute to the worthy needs within the community".
The Yarra Glen Sub-branch was originally formed on 19th of January 1919. It was chartered in the Victorian Branch of the RSSAIL on the 19th of April 1945.
Yarra Glen honours and remembers those who gave their lives for their country. See the memorials page for details on the obelisk at Memorial Hall and the Honour Boards and Devices in the hall and around the local area.
The Yarra Glen War Memorial in front of Memorial Hall at ANZAC and Bell Streets has just been restored (2005). Using funds provided by the Commonwealth Department of Veterans Affairs, the Yarra Glen Sub Branch contracted to have the monument cleaned and repointed to properly honor our Yarra Glen and District veterans of World War I and those actions and wars that followed.
You can see more background on this monument as our Historian uncovers old documents.
The new memorial commemorating the Avenue of Honour was unveilled and dedicated at a ceremony on 21 February 2010.
View the latest issue of news on this web site
The Yarra Glen and District Historical Society published an account entitled "The First World War and the people of Yarra Glen District" in preparation for ANZAC Day 2006. It is available on this web site by permission.
The Yarra Glen and District Historical Society published an account entitled "THE SECOND WORLD WAR - Yarra Glen and District" in preparation for ANZAC Day 2007. It is available on this web site by permission.
- Comradeship at the RSL rooms in the Memorial Hall each Friday - from 1 p.m. until about 4 p.m. (mid-January through mid-December)
- Sales of ANZAC Day Tokens outside the Yarra Glen IGA on Bell Street from 9 am - 5 p.m. each Thursday in April preceding ANZAC Day. We will also circulate at the Yarra Valley Racing meets preceeding ANZAC Day. Proceeds go to the Patriotic Welfare Fund for local and state branch support of veterans in need.
- ANZAC Day Parade Events - Tueday, 25 April 2017 more about ANZAC Day
Assemble in front of the Yarra Glen Police Station at 10:15 for a parade to the Memorial Hall
At the completion of the parade, speakers will address the attendees
Refreshments follow the remembrances inside the Memorial Hall
See a few pictures of the 2014 parade (Yarra Glen on Blogspot)
See the 2007 parade (Windows Media Format)
- Yarra Valley Vietnam Veterans Commemoration - Sunday, 14 August 2016 more about our Vietnam Veterans Day Service
Service to be held in Boronia in 2016
March begins at 10:45am
Service begins at 11:00am
Free family sausage sizzle following the service
About the 2015 commemoration.
- Melbourne Vietnam Veterans Day Commemoration - Sunday, 18 August 2016 more about this Vietnam Veterans Day Service
Service to be held at the Shrine
Gunfire Breakfast begins at 9:30-10:30am
March begins at 11:00
Service following the march
- Remembrance Day - Friday, 11 November 2016 (about this day)
(Poppy Day sales on three consecutive Thursdays prior to Remembrance Day)
Meet at the Memorial Hall at 10:30 a.m. to remember those who sacrificed their lives in Service to Australia
More on the history of the Remembrance Poppy.
Read Mountain Views Mail article after the 2010 service.
- December Holiday Luncheon at the Lilydale International Bistro - 11 December 2016
- Other field trips as may arise from the interest of the members, such as the 2009 trip to Bendigo to visit the RSL Museum, City Museum, RSL and the Bendigo Art Gallery and the 2011 trip to Werribee.
The following individuals are eligible to join the RSL as a Service Member:
- Any person who has served in any of the Australian Defence Forces in either of the two World Wars or in any theatre of conflict.
- Any person who has served for not less than six months in the Regular or Reserve Forces of the ADF, or of any country not an enemy of Australia. Shorter service can also qualify if discharge was honourable and for reasons beyond the individual's control.
- Any Australian citizen who has served overseas for not less than six months as a member of an approved Peacekeeping force.
- Any Australian or allied citizen who served with or in support of the ADF or Allied Forces in any theatre of conflict or during World War II, as a member of the Australian Women's Land Army or a Voluntary Aid Detachment in a Military of Convalescent Hospital.
The following individuals are eligible to join the RSL as an Affiliate Member:
- Has served a minimum of 6 months in the police force, fire brigade, ambulance service, or state emergency service.
- Is over the age of 18 who is a relative of any Service or Life Member of the league.
- Is related to a person who at the time of his/her death was eligible to be a member of the league.
- A child of an ex-service man or woman.
To join the RSL you must first complete an application form and submit it to either the State Branch or your nearest Sub-Branch. You may view or dowload the application form.
View this link for details on the symbolism of the RSL Badge.
Vice-President: Ted Bowling - (03) 9730 1913
Secretary: Ed Bartosh (03) 9739 1879
Treasurer: Stephen Shortis